A Bury man who flytipped in a Salford street had a rubbish excuse for his behaviour.
Shahid Pervaiz, a part-time salesman, was caught by Salford City Council’s CCTV cameras twice dumping rubbish in the middle of the road at Dickinson Street in August last year.
When traced he told council officers he had only “put on a little bit more“ because people had already dumped rubbish there. When told that ‘two wrongs don’t make a right’ he said it was his “first and last mistake” and he was ashamed of wasting tax payers money.
Mr Pervaiz aged 50, of Sheepfoot Lane, Prestwich, appeared at Salford and Manchester magistrates court on Tuesday May 2 and admitted two offences of illegally dumping waste on land at Dickinson Street on August 4 and August 6.
He was fined £320, ordered to pay costs of £486 and a victim surcharge of £32.
The court heard that Salford City Council’s CCTV team caught Mr Pervaiz driving a Toyota Land Cruiser and dumping rubbish in the street just before midday. Two days later they caught him driving a different car and dumping more rubbish in the same spot.
The wood and domestic rubbish blocked the pavement and posed a fire risk to nearby businesses.
Both cars were traced and while the council officer was speaking to someone in connection with the second incident Mr Pervaiz drove up in the Toyota Land Cruiser which the officer recognised from the first offence.
Speaking after the case Ben Dolan, Strategic Director for Environment and Community, at Salford City Council, said: “Mr Pervaiz’s excuse was, frankly, utter rubbish. All this waste could easily have gone in the bin or to the tip. There’s no reason whatsoever to dump it in the middle of a Salford street creating a nuisance for other businesses in the area and wasting taxpayers’ money in cleaning it up.”
Over the last two years Salford City Council, under Operation Pandora, has prosecuted 45 offenders for 56 flytipping offences (some committed more than one offence) resulting in over £48,000 in fines, costs and compensation.
A warrant was issued for Mr Pervaiz after he failed to attend court on Wednesday April 5, 2017. Mr Pervaiz surrendered to the court.